Friday, April 13, 2012

Remembering The Music


Do any of you ladies have one of these? I started playing the flute waaaayyyy back in the 5th grade. My friend back then was going to play one in band so naturally I wanted to do the same so we could sit together. I actually wanted to play the snare drum, but you could only play if you had so many years of piano lessons. It was like they were some kind of elite group or something. I had no such skills, so I stuck with the flute and it has been a pretty good instrument. I stopped playing in band when I was a sophomore in high school, which is also waaaaayyyy back in time, and I've rarely taken this out to play since. The other day I got the bug to take it out and play. I figured at least the girls would like to hear me attempt to play. So I got this shiny lady out and played a few of the easier songs and they got a kick out of it. I'm just amazed that after all this time, with a little pausing to think, I can remember all the notes and how to play them. I guess after playing something so many times it must kind of just tattoo  its self on your brain. It needs some work done, but who knows, it might be worth getting it done, and maybe I'll play a little more often and maybe one of my girls might want to learn how to play it someday. Was there a lot of maybes in there? Did any of you play an instrument or wish that you had learned how to play something?

3 comments:

Gumbo Lily said...

I played the trombone when I was in grade school and jr. high. I didn't stick with it. Glad you dug out the flute and tuned it up!

Anonymous said...

I can't play a thing, but wish I could! My mom plays the guitar.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jaimie! I played the flute in jr. high and high school and really enjoyed it! Now my 13-year old daughter plays my flute, and has played it all through middle school and will continue next year in high school. Yes, a lot of the notes came back to me, too! It cost us $300 to get all the pads redone, but I still think we came out way ahead by not having to purchase or rent a new flute.
-Ruth in NC