Saturday, November 14, 2009

Sweet Times

If you're like me, you see a good recipe in a magazine or on Food Network and you either rip it out or go online to print of the recipe in hopes of giving it a try. Sometimes I'm able to make the recipe from the things I have around the house, but other times I have to hold off because it requires a couple of things that I just don't normally stock in the pantry. So instead of leaving them out to clutter the computer desk or the counters I just shove them in the cookbook and hope that I'll remember to get the extra items someday. Well, it is now time to start having a bakefest (I know that's not an actual word) and clearing out the junk. Slowly I'm making my way through all the sections of my cookbook and I finally managed to make it to the section that could be a whole book in itself, the dessert section! YUM! I'm a sucker for a good dessert.
So I started on one recipe that I cut out of who knows what magazine, who knows how long ago. I invited the in-laws over to be my guinea pigs and hoped for the best. It turned out to be a VERY sweet do-over. So here's the recipe:


Coffee-Mallow Torte

2 c. crushed chocolate wafer cookies (about 35)
1/3 c. melted butter
2/3 c. hot fudge ice cream topping
1 tsp. instant coffee crystals
1/2  of a 7 oz. jar of marshmallow creme
1- 8oz. container of cool-whip
1 qt. coffee ice cream
1/3 chopped nuts, pecans or walnuts
carmel flavored ice cream  topping, garnish

In a medium bowl combine cookie crumbs and butter. Press into the bottom and about 1 1/2 inches up the sides of a 9 inch springform pan. In a small saucepan combine hot fudget and coffee crystals. Heat and stir just until smooth; cool slightly. Spread fude over crust in pan. In a large bowl fold marshmallow creme into cool-whip until combined; set aside.
In a chilled large bowl stir ice cream with a wooden spoon until softened. Fold in cool-whip mixture. Spoon into crust. Sprinkle with chopped nuts. Cover and freeze for 6 hours or until firm. Before serving let stand at room temperature for 10 minutes. Garnish with carmel topping if desired.

* I wasn't able to find just plain chocolate wafer at the store so I just bought a bag of Oreos and scraped out the icing. Its actually a lot easier than it sounds.

1 comment: