- A red door on a white, blue, or gray house means the home is full of good cheer.
- A yellow, white, or gray home with a blue door is a house of peace.
- A dark-green or black door on a light-colored home makes your guests feel protected and secure.
- A white or beige door or other neutral colors signify that your home is a house of purity or serenity.
I also went to Sherwin-Williams where you can load their color visualizer and pick from interior or exterior pictures and use theirs colors on the photos to give yourself an idea of what looks good and what doesn't. This was a major help because on the front of the house its bright white with forest green shutters, and I found out pretty quickly that nothing really matched. However, on the back of the house where our porch is, there isn't anything but white so I was free to choose what ever color I wanted! I found a color called "Liberty Blue" and it just so happened that my m-i-l had a very similar color and primer already so I was set to go. Here is the finished product.
To prep your door to paint is pretty simple.
1. Wash the door with soapy water.
2. Sand down the door with a fine sandpaper and rinse off all dust.
3. Prime it with a tinted primer if you're using a dark color and then paint it with an exterior satin finish paint of your choice.
4. Step back and enjoy your welcoming door!