Sunday, July 19, 2009

Learning How to Sew


I just completed my very first major sewing project a few days ago. I made brand new valances for the windows in the kitchen and the living room from scratch! I have been looking and looking for the “perfect” curtains for well over a year now and I just haven’t been able to find them, or if I did they were so expensive that I just couldn’t justify spending that much to cover all of the windows. Finally, I gave up and decided that I would just look for the “perfect” fabric and I was going to have to learn how to do the basics of sewing to get the ones I had wanted. So I pulled out my copy of Sewing for Dummies and got to work.
I bought the fabric online and pulled out mom’s sewing machine and started and just prayed that I didn’t mess them up. I made five valances total and I must say that they turned out very good for my skill level. Plus it was way cheaper! I bought four yards of Waverly fabric(a little more spendy) and, the total cost of the fabric plus shipping and handling was about what it would have cost me to go to the store and buy one valance! So I have five for the price of one, I think that’s a pretty good deal!

No comments: