Sunday, July 19, 2009

Better Basics For the Home

I bought the book, Better Basics for the Home: Simple Solutions for Less Toxic Living, after seeing an article about simple home-made cleaning solutions in one of my Country Living magazines. Its full of "recipes" for household cleaners, soaps, lotions, skin care, body care, and even some stuff for your pets.In the beginning it gives a breakdown of some of the natural ingredients and what they are used for, for example: Lavender oil can be used as an astringent, antiseptic and its even antibacterial, and that Cinnamon can be used as an astringent, antifungal , antiseptic and an antibacterial depending on what you use them for. This book even tells you what essential oils and other natural ingredients to avoid while you're pregnant.Well to the point of this whole thing is that I was looking at my oven the other day and I realized that it was finally time to break down and clean it. I HATE doing this! I have an older oven, so I don't have the convenience of a self-cleaning setting. Oh well! So I broke out my book to see what there was for oven cleaning and I have to tell you I am amazed at how easy it was and how well everything came off so well!

Baking Soda Oven Cleaner
Small box of baking soda
Spray bottle full of water
Sprinkle the bottom of the oven with baking soda to cover. Spray with water until very damp, and keep moist by spraying every few hours. Let set overnight. In the morning, scoop out the soda and rinse well.

I didn't let mine sit all day like the book says to. All I did was do the main step once and then left it overnight. I scooped everything out wiped it down and it was the best that my oven has ever looked. I was done in 10-15 mins and there wasn't any harsh smells filling the house!
While I was flipping through the pages I also found a recipe to clean the copper on my Revere ware that works great.

Vim and Vinegar Abrasion
3 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. flour
Enough white vinegar to make a paste
Rub the scrub on the copper until clean and then rinse it off. How simple and cheap.

No comments: